MultiMon (MM8) Install Checklist
This is the Beta Customer Checklist, which you should go though whilst planning and designing your BMS requirements.
Is it suitable?
- Each MultiMon monitors between 10 - 15 cells in series.
- Cell voltage between 0.5v and 5v.
- Ensure that the battery pack cannot be pulled apart in cell groups as this risks the BMS being damaged whilst connected (i.e. twin 7S being separated).
- The supply power must be fully isolated from the accessory circuit.
- Can handle supervisor consumption of 1 Ah/day (for 48v) when running WiFi connectivity (~2W).
- The size of the battery connected to the MultiMon should be as similar as possible to the Master WatchMonPlus so that when charging and discharging they reach full and empty together.
What can I do with a MultiMon (MM8) that I can't do with a WM5
- MM8 allows you to expand your system by multi-string on extra banks of batteries with your WatchMonPlus as satellites doubling/tripling or more of your battery banks.
- MM8 allows you to expand your system into a higher voltage. Do you want 96 V or more?
Wiring for WatchMonPlus and MultiMon MM8
This is a video showing the process of preparing balancing wires for the WatchMonPlus and MultiMon
Note: ALL wires on the same MultiMon need to belong to the same battery bank.
Test the Wiring with a TestMon
Whenever altering the wiring unplug from the WatchMonPlus, make your changes and verify with the TestMon again.
Please let us know if LTO batteries are to be used.
The TestMon is Included with WatchMonPlus orders
1. Configure up WatchMonPlus first, as required
VIDEO - Commissioning and Install Supervisor (28 mins)
- Please ensure that number sequence given to WatchMonPlus and MM8's do not clash and are sequential.
- Only one WatchMonPlus or MM8 is plugged into the computer at any one time.
3. Plug in temperature sensors and distribute to battery
4. Wire up the supply power. It must be fully isolated from the accessory circuit. A plug pack and daisy chain is acceptable
5. Wire up CANbus. Remember, a resistor is required at each end of the chain.
Create CANbus wiring from the Master to the last satellite in the sequence with a 120 Ohm resistor at each end.
Twisted cable is used as per other CAN interfaces.
- The Inverter usually has the resistor built in starts the sequence
- Our Master WatchMonPlus is next in the sequence. If not communicating via CANbus the resistor needs to be on the WatchMonPlus
- Note CANbus plug with resistor included with WatchMonPlus. This can be swapped to the end of sequence MM8 if CANbus to inverter is used.
- Next connect the CANbus from the WatchMonPlus to the first MM8.
- Continue connecting in a daisy chain CAN high and CAN low till all your MM8 are connected, The last one in the daisy chain requires a resistor to signify the end.
Post Install Balancing Verification Procedures
These should just be extended to check the connection
- Adjust the bypass voltage threshold below actual cell voltages to ensure that every cell bypass works
- Visually check that each balancing Red LED works odds / evens
- Detect that the heatsink increases in temperature
- Return voltage threshold back to target values.