WatchMonPlus WM5 FAQ Frequently Asked Questions
WatchmonPlus combines the supervisor and cell management into one compact single device.
- Combines supervisor with on-board cell management to offer "All in One" solution
- Less wires: no daisy-chain network cables between cell monitors.
- Enable second life use of existing balancing connectors in OEM packs like Tesla, Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, etc. that use "shared" wires between series.
- Auto-Level (balancing) function at 500mA with activity LED on each cell.
- Capable of 6 Ah/day balancing adjustment for each cell
- 3 external temperature sensors
- 5 LEDs showing operating status and battery SoC% (state of charge)
- For high-voltage battery systems supervisor can be configured as slave (future feature)
Adoption of supervisor features:
- Same supervisor functionality as WatchMon4
- Link to ShuntMon with 500A or 1000A power rating
- Ease to use pluggable screw-terminal connectors.
- Opto-Insulated CAN bus to remote charger/inverter equipment
- Opto-Insulated RS485 (future feature for modbus)
- Configurable 2 inputs and 2 outputs (i.e. remote circuit breaker trip, contactor or fan)
- Additional inputs/outputs can be accessed using same ExpansionBoard (same as Watchmon4)
We always start by setting up the software and communication to the device. This occurs with just the WatchMon connected via the provided USB cable.
Multi-string is still possible but we are limited by the number of cell monitors on the on-board system. We do have the ability to run multiple WatchMonPlus in master/slave mode but this will not be available in the initial release.
The next step is to wire up the batteries to our system.
Please note that the WatchMonPlus was designed for shared balancing cables such as those you would find in 18650 pcb cell holders and repurposed cells (salvaged EV)
WARNING: Always disconnect the batteries from the WatchMon when re-configuring or working on the batteries and ensure that it is wired up correctly. Test the wiring by using the TestMon before plugging into the WatchMon. Failure to follow this Warning may cause damage to the WatchMon and/or batteries.
Depending on your configuration add jumpers to the wiring pins as required
An example of wiring up to 18650 PCB Cell holders is in this Video. Many of the steps are similar with repurposed cells (salvaged EV) with the balancing wires hooked up to pluggable connectors according to how many you are using in series.
Verifying setup using Software
Now that your batteries are connected to the WatchMonPlus we follow the same steps as we did with WatchMon4 to check for a circuit and ensure setup created using the wizard matches what you have wired up.
At this point or later if you prefer you can setup wifi. Just remember that wifi is read only at present so you can't change the configuration if connected this way.
Inverters & chargers
Inverters and chargers can be controlled using CANbus if we have written an interface to it. This generally involves sharing the targets set in the WatchMon Toolkit with the inverter so that it can utilise them and letting the inverter know the current state of the batteries. Some inverters are more sophisticated than others therefore what is shared depends on the inverter/charger
Connecting external Fans/Contactors and Circuit Breakers
Schneider Tripping Unit - product page
Schneider Circuit Breaker 125a 15ka - product page