How to Control a EnPower Charger with a WatchMon
Adopting the EnPower charger can be configured as follows within the WatchMon supervisor. It may be necessary to run a BridgeConnect with the twin canbus ports running in pass-through mode to provide ground isolation from the charger traction battery supply and WatchMon ground reference.
CAUTION: Example below has values shown for a demo LiFePO4 cell pack, ensure you adopt values suitable to your application.
Step 1 - Install communication cable to charger via CAN1 port on WatchMon.
For newer WatchMon (note 120 Ohm resistor shares CANbus High and CANbus Low
For older WatchMon with 4 pin CAN see below.
Step 2 - Install communication cable to EnPower charger wiring socket.
NB: Add 120ohm terminating resistor on charging lead.
Step 3 - Navigate to Hardware, then Integration tab.
Step 4 - Select Canbus protocol to "EnPowerCharger" and Save.
Step 5 - Navigate to Control Logic, then Charging tab.
Step 6 - Adjust the charging control logic to suit the application.
- Limited power must be enabled.
- Cell Hi Cutout should be above the CellMon bypass voltage threshold as a safe guard target.
- Low power current should suit the bypass capability of CellMon.
- When the bypass current is above Initial will trigger the system to low power.
- When the bypass current for all CellMons is above Final the system will complete charging cycle.
Step 7 - Navigate to Hardware, then CellMon tab.
Step 8 - Adjust the CellMon bypass voltage to suit the application.
Note: Make sure to use "Device Sync" to send the changes to the CellMons.
Step 9 - Navigate to the Remote tab on the Control Logic screen.
Step 10 - Adjust the remote charging target to suit the application.
- Scaling must be 10 for both voltage and current.
- Low power must be enabled on charging tab.
- Low power current should suit the bypass capability of the CellMon.
- The charger voltage target needs to be sufficient for all cells to reach bypass threshold.
Step 11 - Navigate to Telemetry, then Live Stats to observe system operation.